Do stained or yellow teeth detract from your smile? Professional teeth whitening is a fast, easy, and affordable way to restore the bright smile you once had. At Hawaiian Island Dental, you can choose an in-office whitening with Dr. Jaurequi for fast results or use our custom teeth whitening in the comfort of your home.
How In-Office Teeth Whitening Works
We always recommend teeth cleaning with our gentle hygienist before whitening. When we remove plaque and tartar from your teeth, we create a clean, fresh surface that helps you achieve the brightest, most consistent results possible.
Before your in-office whitening begins, we'll protect your lips and gums to prevent any irritation caused by the whitening gel. Then, we apply the professional-strength gel to your teeth several times until we achieve the results you want. The entire procedure typically takes about one hour.
Whitening with a Dentist vs. Store-Bought Products
Many patients ask about the difference between teeth whitening with a dentist and using over-the-counter products purchased at the grocery store. There are several reasons why we think professional whitening is the better option:
- Professional teeth whitening gel is stronger than store-bought products, which means you can achieve your bright smile faster.
- Customized whitening trays made using impressions of your teeth allow the whitening gel to contact all tooth surfaces evenly for consistent results.
- If you experience sensitivity or don’t see the level of whiteness you'd like, you can always turn to a professional for help.
- You can keep your trays and use them with any leftover whitening gel for monthly at-home touchups.
All of these benefits add up to a more comfortable experience for you and the brightest, whitest smile possible!
How to Keep Your Teeth Bright after Whitening
There are several steps you can take after teeth whitening to maintain the bright results for as long as possible:
- Brush at least twice a day and floss once. It's good for your oral health, and it keeps your teeth sparkly clean and free of plaque and tartar that cause yellow teeth.
- Stay current with six-month visits for dental cleanings with our hygienist to remove plaque and tartar and keep your teeth clean and bright.
- Avoid darkly-colored foods and beverages like coffee, dark tea, colas, red wine, soy sauce, and tomato sauce, all of which can stain your teeth.
- If you smoke cigarettes, cut back or cut them out altogether. In addition to general health reasons, smoking leaves ugly brown on your teeth stains that are very hard to remove.
Schedule a Dental Cleaning to Get Started
Professional teeth whitening at our Lihue, HI dental office will give you the brighter, whiter smile you’ve been dreaming about. The perfect time to whiten your teeth is before a big event like a wedding or reunion, or just because you want to look and feel great!
Call Hawaiian Island Dental to schedule a teeth cleaning with our hygienist to get started!